Wednesday 29 February 2012

Evaluation. Question 1.

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

To start I firstly used and developed the conventions of real media products in the design of my logo.


To start with i first noticed the general use of bold fonts and bright colours in the conventions of newspaper logos. I noticed that the generalisation of newspapers use this type of layout to attract the reader and use a contrast of colours to make thier logo eye-catching and appealing to the audience.
After consideration I decided to use these conventions in my own newspaper project and make my logo as appealing as possible. It would've been follish to go against these typical newspaper conventions as this technique has been proven to success over many years and so this is why I followed the trend.  
I decided to use this style of logo as the contrasting two colours make it very eye catching and 'in your face.' Despite using these colours and fonts i have used a different convention to existing newspapers, by adding my slogan onto my logo. This technique isn't ordinary but however i do feel that it adds a bit of change to traditional newspapers and may spice up my newspaper.

This is a typical design of a newspaper convention as it has the adverts demonstrated at the bottom of the page, the main headline in the middle, and the logo and the top of the newspaper. I have used these similar conventions in my project by adding the logo and advertisements in the same places and also i have included the main headline in the middle of the page, displayed with saurrounding pictures. This design is of a typical newspaper layout with many conventions being the same as this has proven successful in previous newspapers.
Within use of my own project i decided to use these conventions highlighted above to introcude traditional themes onto my own newspaper work. These convesntions add a traditional theme and layout to my newspaper and by taking ideas from typical newspaper conventions i feel that i have included some good ideas into my project.

The typical newpaper image above displays typical conventions used in newspaper front pges. I used this image in my research in order to develop my front page and design the layout so it will be appealing to the audience. 


When creating my poster I used some typical newspaper conventions by displaying my logo but however i decided it would be more eye-catching and appropiate to place my logo in the middle of my poster. This technique i used makes my newspaper unique to its audience and makes it stand out from other newspapers. I compared other posters from different newspapers and decided to follow the same layout of posters from 'The Dailly Mirror' and 'The Sun'. By following some of the same conventions i have displayed my logo in contrast with the picture and the slogan. 

Following on from the logo convention i have also used an image to match my slogan as theis is a very popular technique used by professional newspapers. My slogan for 'The Wigan Link' was "Keeping People Connected" and so i took the idea of everyone being connected through my newspaper, and made a paper chain of people out of newspaper. I noticed that the image of the paper chain fits well with the idea that The Wigan Link is all about keeping people connected through the news that they read in my newspaper and so i made the paper chain to symbolise that connection. I think this image is very appropiate to the slogan of my newspaper and it demonstrates a lot of time and effort that will appeal to my audience. The ida of the poster image is to make people feel a wholeness about one another and by reading the newspaper they are being brought together as one.
Along with my front page and my poster i have also used popular newspaper conventions on the inside page too. After my research and planning I highlighted these conventions and used them in my own product by using them in similar positions on the page. I decided to use conventions such as the same layouts of singular column text and a suitable contrasting colour scheme. I displayed the main image in the centre of the page with flowing text around it as seen in the 'Daily Mirror' and so these conventions made my newspaper very professional and unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment